1st Qtr President’s Message
Happy New Year CVHRMA Members!
As we enter this new year, I am filled with excitement and eagerness for the opportunities that lie ahead of us. January kicks off with our most requested speaker; Jeanine DeBacker presenting her annual legislative update. January also welcomes a new member to the Executive Board. Curt Zimmerman has accepted the position of Director of Membership which was vacated by the resignation of Kathleen Xavier. This is an Executive Board position. Curt has served as Membership Chairman under the leadership of Kathleen for the past year.
For those of you who are looking for ways to become more involved in the community and/or your profession, please consider a role with our Board. We are growing and would like to have diversity as we do so. We have many exciting initiatives we are pursuing this year, both to meet our membership needs as well as those of our community. Some of the opportunities that are available include:
Board Member Roles:
- Director of Communication-Responsible for attending Board meetings and luncheons, taking and distributing meeting notes as minutes, and sending email blasts to inform members regarding updates and upcoming events. Approximately 7-10 hours per month (includes time for meeting attendance). Executive Board member.
- Director of Technology-Responsible for maintaining and updating the website, oversight of content creation and collection for CVHRMA website and social media platforms, as well as troubleshooting technology for the Board. Includes supervising and directing social media and chapter content committees. Board member. Approximately 7-10 hours per month (includes time for meeting attendance).
Core Leadership Areas:
- Workforce Readiness-Responsible for creation and implementation of local Workforce Readiness efforts while supporting SHRM and CalSHRM initiatives. Collaborates with Chair of Emerging Professionals and Chair of College Relations to develop local projects and engage members. Approximately 5-7 hours per month.
- Membership-Supports the Director of Membership to meet and greet potential and new members, orient them to CVHRMA, ascertain member needs, and complete membership audits. Approximately 7-10 hours per month (includes time for meeting attendance).
- Social Media-Responsible for maintaining CVHRMA social media platforms with content that is consistent with CVHRMA brand, meaningful to members, and captures board and member activities. Not required to meet Approximately 3-5 hours per month.
- Chapter Content-Responsible for collaborating with members and community partners to develop and/or acquire meaningful content for the CVHRMA website and (in partnership with the chair of social media) social media platforms. Approximately 3-5 hours per month.
- Special Events-Responsible for working with vendors, venues, Board members and volunteers to plan and implement chapter events such as Annual HR Conference, mixers, etc. Approximately 7-10 hours per month.
In January, a few members of the CVHRMA Board of Directors will be travelling to San Diego for a CalSHRM Quarterly meeting and leadership summit. CalSHRM is dedicating a day to strategically train core chapter leaders. We are excited about the generous opportunity provided to us by CalSHRM. This opportunity is important not only for knowledge attainment, networking with other leaders from throughout the state who are in our respective roles-but also for succession planning. One of my top priorities for 2018 is to train, empower and grow our local Board. Doing so ensures that we have continuity, diversity and the ability to respond to our member needs effectively and efficiently.
I wish each of you a prosperous and productive 2018. Should you need anything or have suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at: President.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jowanda M. Collins